Silica in shampoo?

josegjoseg Member
edited February 2014 in Formulating
While looking for ways to thicken a gel naturally, I came across this product literature for untreated fumed silica (see link below - page 13 for applications in cosmetics).

It says it is possible to thicken a shampoo with silica...has anybody done this? and how? I thought untreated silica actually thickens non-polar systems. 

Comments

• MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    At a Contract Manufacturer I once worked at we did a surfactant system thickened by fumed silica. Best advice is to have a good homogenizer.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    not shampoos, but at my last workplace we routinely used a hydrophilic grade to thicken toothpastes and given them extra suspension and pseudoplasticity

because it was a very fine powder and there was 10-15% of it by weight in each batch, it was added by means of a bottom-feeding powder eductor on the plant - during addition, we kept the vessel's side-sweep mixer running and let the friction and shear forces that resulted from the liquid's high viscosity do the rest of the work mixing it in (if I remember rightly, it took 2-3 hours to fully mix it into a 1500kg batch)

as @Microformulation said, a high-shear mixer would be needed at lower viscosities
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    I used it recently in a Sugar Scrub. I was so glad I had a Silverson otherwise it would have taken forever.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    edited February 2014
    If you can get it wetted out, untreated fumed silica thickens any liquid. A small amount of calcium silicate may be synergistic in aqueous products.

If you can afford it, Cabot makes stabilized aqueous dispersions that eliminate the need for a homogenizer and/or eductor. I suspect you'd need to use high-solid-content surfactants to make this work in a shampoo.

Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."