Is this safe?

Hi all,

I'm not a chemist. I am making my own hair products like all the other DIY people out there. Beeswax, coconut oil, essential oils, etc. it's OK, but I want to formulate something of a higher quality. Beeswax is definitely hard to wash out of hair, and I think may be a turn off for customers. I've looked around at alternatives to beeswax, and I'm seeing commercial products use PVP, Carbomer 940, stuff like that as fixatives and thickeners. Is it safe to experiment mixing these into formulas? I mean, can you get hurt or exposed to something bad by doing this? I found some formulas online for pomade and hair wax that I'd like to try, but I don't want to simply do it without knowing the potential effects. I look forward to your responses.

Thanks

Comments

• MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    edited July 2015
    There is a reason we get University level training in Cosmetic Science. Those materials could be dangerous but that is less likely than the difficulty working with those products. It takes years to learn the properties of those materials. Hire a Consultant.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    If you're just making products for yourself, the safest thing to do is go to a reputable site, like Susan's Point of Interest! (http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/ ) and follow the formulas exactly.

If you're planning on selling things? Hire a consultant.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    You are more likely to harm yourself when using some of the raw materials rather than putting them on your hair. Carbomer for example; you do not want to inhale any of it. Bob's suggestion is excellent.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    Yes, if you do not know what you are doing, it could be harmful.  Why don't you consider taking Perry's Online course.
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Thanks Mark!

You can do that through here.  https://chemistscorner.com/members