Sulfur: What sulfur source works well and how to integrate it? (for anti acne use)

ZinkZink Member
edited February 2014 in Formulating
Playing around with sulfur as a lot of acne users like it in spot treatments, what source is good? Just plain old Sodium sulfate? Do you need to micronize oit to make it stay evenly dispersed in lotions?

I have food grade anhydrous sodium sulfate 99%+ at hand.

Comments

• chemicalmattchemicalmatt Member, Professional Chemist
    Sodium sulfate wouldn't do much Zink. Sodium sulf ITE, on the other hand is keratolytic, yet I don't think that applies either (decomposes to H2S, sewer gas, poisinous, yadayadayada). You are probably seeking flowers of sulfur,  which is sometimes called sulfur florets or colloidal sulfur. Dispersing in oil works best, as it is not water-soluble, not much anyway. This is an old school acne remedy. Old as in 1950's old.
  • Interesting, there are commercial anti acne products that use sodium sulfate, so this would be a good source?

Thanks for the info!
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Wear gloves! A friend wrecked his hands for years after formulating with sulfur.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Sulfur makes it an OTC
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • ZinkZink Member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the warning! Making a spot treatment for myself, if good I might get a contract manufacturer to manufacture it down the line.