I'm leaning towards Polysorbate 20

I am looking to emulsify a small amount of essential oil
into water for a fine mist spray.

In my research I have found the following..  Polysorbate 20, Glycol Stearate & SE and
Methylparaben.  AquaEm = PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides (and) Polyglyceryl 6 Dioleate, as well as a reply from the forum below ***

I do not want to use alcohol and I will need to avoid
having the product become rancid.

I am asking for help because I do not know where to start
and I do not want to spend a bunch of money on trial and probably a lot of
error. :)  In addition, it gets very confusing as to what products are used for what application and which can be purchased in small quantities or without a lic.

In a perfect world, the goal is a simple concentrate
where the customer adds water and that’s it.  

I can mess with ratios and viscosity and figure that
out. 

Thank You 

*** For
natural solubilizers I would recommend Polysorbate 20, Polyglycerol-4 Caprate
or something like Sophogreen from Soliance or SymSol from Symrise.  The best results I have had have been with Polysorbate 20 (used at
3:1 or 5:1) and Sophogreen (used at 10:1)

Comments

• PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Do you know the HLB of the oil your are trying to solubilize?
  • Thank you for your question.... here is what I have found in research but it is "greek" to me.  
    "Oil & Tween20 molecular formula C58  H114 O26, HLB = 16.7.  Prep from different surfactant concentrations keeping oil consistent at 6%.
    Also, oil prepared with light liquid paraffin were found between 13.36 +- 0.36 and 11.5 =- 0.35.
    Not sure if this helps.  I don't mind the research I just don't understand much of it and finding exact numbers is a windy road.  
    Thank You

• Another article I found said the following....
     Tween80 was chosen to be used as emulsifier because it has a high hydrophilic and lipophilic balance value equal to 15 and favors the process of formulating oil-in-water type of emulsion.
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    See this post we did on the HLB system.  Essentially, you have to find out what the required HLB of your oil is and choose a solubilizing ingredient that works in that range.

• BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Do you need to be "natural"?
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Thank You Bob for entertaining my inquery.  Yes I did see and read the the HLB post and frankly, It was too overwhelming for me as a lay person.  The answer to your other question is that I do not need it to be natural.  
    I just want to simply emulsify an essential oil into water for a spray.  I really tried to research before asking any dumb questions which is where I fell into this website.  I understand if you feel I am looking for some FREE formulation but, I am not.  
    I am just looking for a starting point, and a product I can buy in small quantities so I dont break the bank figuring out my formula.  
    Either way, thank you for your reply and even if you say.... start with this ..... it is more than any help I can comprehend from any of my internet research.
    Thank you again.  
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    What is the net percentage (wt/wt) of the Essential Oil?
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • I was going to start with 2% and do not think I will have to go over 5%.
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."