Cleansing oil surfactant

cossci21cossci21 Member
edited February 2014 in Formulating
Hi Everyone
I am formulating  a cleansing oil that contains olive oil, apricot seed oil, jojoba oil and a few other 'natural' oils to use in the cleanser.
I am looking for a surfactant to use to provide removal of make up etc, the more natural the better.
I am stumbled across a peg-7 olive ester but dont really want to use pegs as these days it is seen as nasty.
Any other ideas? I was thinking of using tween 20?

Comments

• BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Are you trying for ingredient label appearances or to actually avoid certain classes of surfactants?
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Polyglyceryl-5-oleate is a PEG-free emulsifier that can serve this purpose. You can get a transparent oil gel as far as you don't introduce air bubbles while mixing.
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    Tween 20 is ethoxylated, so if you want to avoid PEGs you'd have to avoid that too

Ajinomoto do some mild cleansing surfactants based on amino acids and vegetable fats; they're sold under the tradenames Amisoft and Amilite

more details here - http://www.ajichem.com/en/products/anionic-surfactants.aspx
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • Hi great thanks for that I will definitely look into the Polyglyceryl-5-oleate and Ajinomoto.
    Bobzchemist more for label appearance really!