decreasing tackiness in sulphate-free body wash

Hello everyone- am currently working on a sulphate-free body wash formulation - 

63% water
0.6% xantham gum
12.8% coco glucoside
12.8% lauryl glucoside
6.4% decyl glucoside

1% essential oil (orange)

3.4% sorbitol

I have found this to be quite tacky and the consistency doesnt seem right (I was hoping for more of a gel and have more of an unset jello consistency). I have been adding the xantham gum to the water then mixing in the surfactants and finally the sorbitol and fragrance. I added the Sorbitol to help with the tackiness but not sure it is quite doing the job - any reccomendations? 

Thanks so much! 
Tagged:

Comments

• BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Water-soluble organo-silicones
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    One of the dimethicone copolyols is what you mean???? @Bobzchemist
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    xanthan gum will give you that texture; in my view the easiest solution is to use another thickener

hydroxypropyl methylcellulose works well in this type of product
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • Never heard sorbitol will reduce tackiness..
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Yes,  a dimethicone copolyol or a derivative is what I had in mind.

SilSense SW-12 Dimethicone Copolyol Ester is probably what I'd try first:

I think the sorbitol is adding to the tackiness - it needs to go.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Have you tried a bit of alcohol? 
  • @heatherbeeeconomics: Just FYI, but if you're planning to sell this formulation, you might need to tweak the coco:decyl glucoside ratio a bit to make sure you're not infringing on Colgate's patent:
    http://www.google.com/patents/WO2012011892A1?cl=en
  • MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    Ditch the Sorbitol and cut the Xanthan Gum down to 0.3% ... the Sorbitol is certainly adding to the tackiness (it's a sugar).  
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • Thanks so much everyone