Temporary & Semi Permanent Dyes

Im looking for a bit of advice about dyes as Im getting confused.  I have some samples of Arianor (Sensient) dyes for hair products that I have been testing things with. I cant get any more in my area though.  I would like to buy some more dyes suitable/safe for hair but when I search for them I get a lot of hits for textile dyes.
Are all dyes for hair care basic dyes or acid dyes?  And is there specific ones for hair or are those textile dyes the same?  I would like water soluble dye, although the carrier will be water/alcohol, so maybe solvent soluble ones are ok?

I'm a bit lost with te dye language.

Thank you


  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    edited September 2015
    1. no, acid and basic dyes are just the ionic types (acid = anionic, basic = cationic) - non-ionic types include disperse dyes and some HC dyes

    2. dyes sold for textiles will be same substance, but chances are there will be no guarantee whatsoever that they're fit for human use

    depending on the manufacturing process and the substances involved, dyes can contain residual impurities that are harmful to human health, and subject to legal restrictions in cosmetics - in the vast majority of dyes sold for textiles, these impurities are not monitored and their levels are not controlled 

    (incidentally, most dyes now used on hair started life as textile dyes)

    3. no, you need something at least partially water-soluble, as water wets the hair and provides a means to transfer the dye onto it; the vast majority of solvent dyes are not water-soluble (or their solubility in water is extremely limited), so they will not transfer

    there are several other suppliers of hair dyes around - whereabouts in the world are you located?
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist

    Check out PylamDyes (US) or Vivimed's Jarocol (UK) lines.  Pylam has Basic Dyes and Acid Dyes, Jarocol has HC Dyes ... specifically for semi-permanent hair dyes.

    Note that the regulations for what is allowed in a hair dyes are significantly more stringent in the EU than in the US.
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

    See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
Sign In or Register to comment.