SPF booster and Water-resistance

ChemWizardChemWizard Member
edited February 2014 in Formulating
What's your one favorite ingredient for so called Natural formulas which gives Water resistance 60 min and even boosts SPF value.
This ingredient should be efficient even in O/W emulsions.

Looking to hear from your experiences!

Comments

• BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    I'm a huge fan of Ganex WP-660, but I don't think you could call it natural. I don't think "natural, "water-resistant", and "sunscreen" are going to co-exist well - any two of the three could work, though.

In the US, sunscreens can either be 40 minutes or 80 minutes water-resistant. Claiming 60 minutes is misbranding.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Hi,

I like the Ganex V-220 (VP/Eicosene co-polymer) for water resistance but as Bob said it it not natural.

But you can try Meristant series from Essential ingredients. These are Hydrogenated Pine Alkaloids and they market them as Green Chemistry, so you can try them as alternatives for Ganex to provide water resistance. In addition to these some emulsifiers like Potassium Cetyl Phosphate also contribute to water resistance.

Hope this helps!!!!!!