Abundant Glycerine

I ran into an abundant high (food) grade vegetable glycerine, which will expire in January 2018. It was for cake-making, which I believe could be used for skin as well.

What can I realistically create with it?

Body cream/lotion......
Shower gel.....

Any suggestion?

Comments

• DavidDavid Member
    edited October 2015
    You can create anything you like - but stay away from nitroglycerin! :)
  • It is incredible that someone would want to vote down a genuine question.
    I was probably the first person to suggest this "like" button, but I am a recipient of the opposite - incredible!
  • Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    @braveheart someone with a similar situation like yours but ended up throwing it away  :) without asking around. 
  • I will buy it to you if you were in Venezuela, i just run out of glycerin and is very difficult to find it here...

Its a highly higroscopic and have a lot of usses, you can find here many formulations and references:

• Would you be willing to use glycerin as a solvent for anything? It's quite useful for that.

• braveheartbraveheart Member
    edited October 2015
    @Chemist77, @luiscuevasii, @MichelleReece .... and @David....

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I did not respond on time because I was expecting a backlash from the negative posters on the forum.

If I was in Venezuela, I would have sent at least 5L to you for free! I guess I have some 50L or so. I have started using it for almost everything - handwash, bodywash, solvent for my hyaluronic acid formulations. I wished it wasn't so sticky, I would have been using it as my main body lotion.

Thanks a mill.....!
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    The largest use I know of is in making "melt and pour" glycerin soap. Talk to me privately if you want to try this.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    I used to make a clear soap with glycerin and sodium stearate I think. I wonder if I still have the formula.