What makes this hair conditioner so effective?

Unknown Member
edited April 2016 in Hair
Hello from the UK! :) 

About 18 months ago I discovered and starting using a shampoo and conditioner by Pureology. I've tried other brands (drugstore and professional) but they don't work as well. The line I use is marketed to those with rough, dull, brittle colour treated hair. I'm not a chemist or expert by any stretch of the imagination, so I'd really appreciate the insight and knowledge of you lovely, helpful folk. :)

From what I can gather, the formula for the conditioner seems to be quite basic and I'm wondering what makes it so effective? My hair isn't colour treated but it does get dry and brittle if it's not cared for properly. I've found that these products work incredibly well for me. 
Despite the expense I'm happy to buy them but should they ever get discontinued, I'd like to have some idea of what to look for in a replacement? 

Conditioner Ingredients:

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Sunflower Seed Oil, Brassicamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetyl Esters, Parfum/Fragrance, Aspartic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Linalool, Cocos Nucifera Oil/Coconut Oil, Coumarin, Helianthus Annuus Seed Extract/Sunflower Seed Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein.

Comments

• Im not sure why, but the formatting in my post isn't showing. Sorry about that!
  • MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    The active conditioning agent is Brassicamidopropyl Dimethylamine.  The Aspartic Acid and Hydrolysed Soy Protein may also contribute to its effectiveness.
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    Thanks Bob, very interesting. I like Inolex.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    I think they used the Kerabase LC in this Formula.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • Thanks for the replies.
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    This brings up a good point about duping formulas. One of the first things that you should do, after determining the 1% line, is look for ingredient combinations that are available commercially. More and more formulators seem to be using pre-mixes like Kerabase, or Incroquat OSC from Croda, etc.This keeps you from trying to source individual components, and may also make it much easier to reverse-engineer.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."