How do I measure the pH level of a clay mask?

When it was just done, the pH was 6. When I measured the next day, the pH is about 8

which is the correct one?

Comments

• MakingSkincareMakingSkincare Member, Professional formulator
    Have you calibrated your pH meter?  How are exactly are you measuring the pH?  What are in the ingredients in your clay mask?
    Jane Barber
    www.makingskincare.com
    www.learncosmeticformulation.com (free online course)
    Formulation discussion forum (18,000 members): www.facebook.com/groups/makingskincare/
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    They are both correct - at the time you took your measurements. pH is NOT a constant.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    It sounds as if you have got bentonite clay in there, in which case I would expect pH drift to the alkaline side.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • kaolin, zinc oxide, titanium oxide and calamine
    e wax, stearic acid
    water
    Jeecide® CAP-5 - Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol (and) Potassium Sorbate (and) Water (and) Hexylene Glycol Acid
    Palm oil

something like that. I'm still working on it.
    the pH drift to alkaline after a few days.

• 2-4% kaolin... still working on the texture that I want