Need tips for cleaning Silverson mixer/lab equipment

Hello - I own a Silverson mixer and I'm never quite sure whether I'm using the correct products to properly disinfect everything. I wash the parts with an antibacterial dish washing liquid after running the parts under hot water to remove as much product as possible. After I clean the parts I dry with paper towels and finally spray with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

I'd like to establish a cleaning protocol so if there's anyone out there who works in a lab I'd really like to hear from you.

Thanks!

Comments

• Seconded.
  • Come on guys. Surely someone besides Sunstone is cleaning their lab equipment (wink). Didn't mean to scare anybody off by mentioning I wanted to come up with a cleaning protocol. I just want to how others are cleaning their lab mixers. Thanks!
  • johnbjohnb Member, Professional Chemist
    An important part of a cleaning procedure for cleaning something like a Silverson is to dismantle the mixing head after each use and thoroughly clean the normally hidden rotor and screen. There are thumb nuts provided to enable this.
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Hot water plus soap in a large beaker 5 min runtime
    Completely disassemble and clean with brushes and soap.
    Soak everything in 50% EtOH overnight.

In extreme cases, autoclave.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Thanks so much! Glad to know I'm half-way on track! Bobzchemist, is this Ethyl alcohol and do you have a recommendation of where I can purchase it? I love how you insert links in some of your posts which makes buying a breeze!

Thanks again for getting back. I really appreciate it.
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Et = Ethyl
    OH = Alcohol
    Chemist shorthand.

You can get it at the drugstore as rubbing alcohol. Isopropyl works just as well.
    Small toothbrushes work for most areas. Tiny brushes/mascara brushes can be had from Qosmedix, which are invaluable for cleaning the screen holes.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Great thanks so much! Looks like I'm all set. I know I'm speaking for a lot of people, but thanks for your contribution to this forum. I have learned a lot from you and many others.

Thank you again