Zemea vs glycerin

Has anybody seen independent data (not provided by DuPont Tate & Lyle) on the comparative performance of glycerin vs Zemea?
Tagged:

Comments

• MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    edited April 2017
    Wouldn't a comparison of Zemea vs. Propylene Glycol be more valid? I would contact DuPont, Tate, and Lyle (http://duponttateandlyle.com/) for this data. I have not seen any INDEPENDENT data, but in my experience, we have switched it out for PG with no changes in performance.

markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • PG has a horrible image problem.
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    @chemnc - I suppose that depends on your customer.
  • AGREE with the foregoing we have switched from pg,1,2 diol to Zemea 13 propanediol.Why do you want to compare to glycerine which is propanetriol?
    In our experience, we have seen zero compromise in humectancy by switching fro PG to Zemea, especially when used in combination with other products such as Glycerin and Methyl Gluceth-10.

PG allegedly has some penetration enhancement and I have yet to see if Zemea also has this property.

"Propylene Glycol; Among the polyvalent alcohols, propylene glycol is the
    most frequently used co-solvent in dermatology. The action as a real penetration enhancer is debated controversially in the literature."

http://www.nanobiotec.iqm.unicamp.br/download/Trommer_skin penetration-2006rev.pdf

markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • Why do you also need glycerin?
    In my experience I have found that a combination of glycols will give better effect. Many others can weigh in as well.
  • I recently made a lotion in which one had 6% Zemea, the other had 3% glycerin, everything else was exactly the same. I found NO difference between the 2 lotions. 
    I performed this trial because Zemea is $$$$$ compared to glycerin, AND because in Canada, no one sells it in small quantities, as in 1 liter at a time.
  • I use glycerin more than PG. In addition, I mixed some natural base oil.

Founder and CEO, R&D Lab
    Soapily Skincare Cosmetic Corp Inc
    Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam