Dry Shampoo Aerosol

Unknown Member
edited October 2014 in Formulating
Has anyone ever made one? Not sure what kind of propellent and actuator I will need . Can anyone give any guidance?

Comments

• PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Here's an ingredient list which is pretty standard.  

Butane, Isobutane, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Propane, Alcohol Denat, Parfume, Limonene, Linanool, Geranol, Benzyl Benzoate, Distearyldimonium, Cetrimonium Chloride

Butane, propane and isobutane are the propellant. Starch is the functional ingredient.
  • Thank you Perry. In terms of the appropriate aerosol packaging components (can, dip tube and actuator) do you have any suggestions aside from trial and error or should I perhaps contact an aerosol supplier for guidance?

With Starch being the functional ingredient I assume the actuator & diptube will be a very improtant factor.

In truth I don't really know. I had the luxury of a packaging department who handled these questions.  We gave them the product specifications and they brought us a working solution.  

I would suggest you talk to the packaging supplier.  Tell them what you need and they should be able to provide a working solution.
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    I have been involved in sourcing these products.

As for the performance materials look to Akzo Nobel for some great options and perhaps starting Formulations.

As for the propellants I would talk with the company manufacturing the aeresol first. It is pretty specialized.

I believe in our case we found an aeresol manufacturer right outside of Chicago to do the overall Formulation.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • @perry I see linalool in most shampoos and hair mask. its just fragrance and masking?

you know in those formula theres is fragrance except linalool. so whats it role?

Linalool is an ingredient in the fragrance.  It has to be listed because it is a known allergen and the EU requires listing of 26 known allergens if they are in your product.
  • I am currently awaiting the supplier base and packaging.... thank you all for your incite. It is greatly appreciated.
  • @perry ok I got it...