CMV - Hair supplements do not improve hair growth

PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
If you are generally healthy, there is no supplement you can take that will noticeably improve hair growth.

This 2013 review of available evidence is what I use to support my claim.

Can anyone show me why I'm wrong?

Comments

• Unknown Member
    edited June 2020
    First of all, i would like to understand what you mean by "generally healthy"? Do you mean a generally healthy person do not lack or has less amount of a particular nutrient?
     In my understanding, if you don't have any deficiency in the suppliment you're taking, then it's not going to make any difference. Its only going to make a difference if you have less than what your body needs or you're completely lacking. 

Thanks for that added evidence. It was really helpful.
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Great question!  By generally healthy, I mean that you are not malnourished. You don't have scurvy or you're not vitamin A deficient or deficient in any other micronutrient. So, I'm pretty much referring to the vast majority of people who would think of taking a supplement that wasn't prescribed by their doctor.

For example, if you do not have a biotin deficiency taking 16,000% of the recommended daily allowance of biotin will have no impact on your hair growth.