tkb cap 2 Preservative Expiry

hi wonderful people here

i am using tkb cap 2 in lipstick and it is all going well. my question is i bought this preservative last year in december 2019. i dont know its expiry but i think one year is its expiry so it will expire this month December 2020. 

can i use this preservative now? should i need to buy new one or can i still use this month. any one have knowledge about tkb preservative plz guide 
Tagged:

Comments

  • PhilGeisPhilGeis Member, Professional formulator
    Ask TKB for an ex. date.  If they can't/won't respond, do not use their products.
    Are you sure you need a preservative in a lipstick?
  • PhilGeis said:
    Ask TKB for an ex. date.  If they can't/won't respond, do not use their products.
    Are you sure you need a preservative in a lipstick?
    yes actually i sell them so i add lip safe preservative in my Lipstick formula. expiry was one year. i bought in last December..so i wanted to ask can i still add that preservative as December is just started or i should buy new one 
  • PhilGeisPhilGeis Member, Professional formulator
    Sale does not require preservative per se.  Is it  classic wax based product? 

    Re. TKB, think the exp would be for the material meeting its own spec - so within that period it should be as intended.
  • PhilGeis said:
    Sale does not require preservative per se.  Is it  classic wax based product? 

    Re. TKB, think the exp would be for the material meeting its own spec - so within that period it should be as intended.
    yes i make wax and oil based lipstick. mostly when we see market bought lipstick ingredients they also add preservatives like parabens on list. 

    i have tocopherol as well. i think that is enough to add in formula so my oils dont go rancid. am i right? 
  • I always use them up to the expiry date. I don't believe 100% oil/wax products needs preservatives. I was making lip balms a few tears ago and never added one, just vitamin E and Rosemary extract. 
  • PhilGeisPhilGeis Member, Professional formulator
    Tocopherol is a good idea.  Some use parabens to prevent mold.   TKB Cap 2 (glycols and phenoxyethanol) would be good vs bacteria esp. Gram negative bacteria.  A wax based lipstick is not much of a bacterial risk, and those are are poor vs fungi. 
    Perhaps consider just a paraben.
  • Zara said:
    I always use them up to the expiry date. I don't believe 100% oil/wax products needs preservatives. I was making lip balms a few tears ago and never added one, just vitamin E and Rosemary extract. 
    thank you dear for guidance i think i should add vitamin e only
  • PhilGeis said:
    Tocopherol is a good idea.  Some use parabens to prevent mold.   TKB Cap 2 (glycols and phenoxyethanol) would be good vs bacteria esp. Gram negative bacteria.  A wax based lipstick is not much of a bacterial risk, and those are are poor vs fungi. 
    Perhaps consider just a paraben.
    thank you so much for guidance i will keep these points in mind and i will switch to vitamin e tocopherol only. will stop using preservative in lipstick
Sign In or Register to comment.