benzyl alcohol equivalent to parabens

Hello everyone,

I'm looking forward to use benzyl alcohol as a substitute for methyl and propyl paraben (both 0.1%) in a pet shampoo formulation.

My question is, what would be the equivalent amount of benzyl alcohol for this application?

Many thanks
Andres

Comments

• PaprikPaprik Member
    Hi,

what else are you using as preservative? What else is in the formula?

EU limit for benzyl alcohol is 1% max. 
    We can't really tell you, for example, that 0.78% or 0.48% would be enough. PET would need to be conducted. 
    If it's homemade, I would stick to the upper limit, however benzyl alcohol wouldn't be sufficient as the only preservative. In other words, it's not a broad spectrum preservative. 

Hope that helps.
  • Hi Paprik,

I forgot to mention, I'm also including 0.1% of KATHON CG. Therefore, what could be a solid estimate of the % for benzyl alcohol to guarantee a shelf life for, let's say 2 years?
  • Do you know of any commercial pet shampoos that are paraben-free? If you look at the ingredients list, you can get a good idea on how they accomplished it.
  • PhilGeisPhilGeis Member, Professional formulator
    With Kathon CG in a shampoo - Sodium benzoate is a much better option than benzyl alcohol or parabens. Kathon CG at 0.1 is top recommend use level.  Unless there's a rationale, think I'd drop that to 0.5-0.6.
  • @PhilGeis do you mean use kathon at %0.05 or %0.5?

What percentage of sodium benzoate should be used with %0.05 kathon in this Shampoo formula?
    SLES
    CAPB
    Glycol distearate %1
    PQ10
    NACL
    Tetrasodium EDTA %0.2
    pH 5
    Right - 0.05.-0.06 - thanks!
    Suggest 0.25 -0.3% Na Benzoate
  • @PhilGeis thank you too!
    How about %0.3 Glyceryl Caprylate with %0.05 kathon in this formula? 
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    You may want to reconsider Kathon CG (methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone) in a Pet Shampoo. There are some pending class action suits. It also is beginning to get pushback from the pet market. I would research these issues.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.

You may want to reconsider Kathon CG (methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone) in a Pet Shampoo. There are some pending class action suits. It also is beginning to get pushback from the pet market. I would research these issues.

Can you elaborate on the lawsuits?  This is the most common preseravtive of surfactant based human consumer products (shampoos, hand washes, body washes) in the world.
    edited April 23
    Saw one suit for flea and tick shampoo - pyrethroids named as culprit.
    Also some stuff about isoxazoline  - another heterocyclic but nowhere near an isothiazolinone.  https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/animal-health-literacy/fact-sheet-pet-owners-and-veterinarians-about-potential-adverse-events-associated-isoxazoline-flea

any cocnern for a formaldehyde releaser?
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    I will tag in @Belassi

markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.